IT infrastructure is not just important but crucial for many organizations, in various industries. As the role networks play in so many fields grows, so does the importance of making sure that they operate seamlessly. Having effective tools in place to monitor your network helps to not only ensure that it is running efficiently but to also flag up any issues as early as possible.
Some of the main features you’ll want in an IT infrastructure monitoring tool are as follows.
- To monitor the availability and performance of your network.
- A health status feature so that you can spot any issues as early as possible.
- A reporting function so that you have an overview of the system and any incidents.
- The ability to add services and devices that you want to be monitored.
- An alert feature to send you notifications when a problem arises or is about to occur.
With this in mind, 5 IT infrastructure monitoring tools that can make your job easier are provided below – in no particular order.
1) PRTG Network Monitor
Paessler’s PRTG Network Monitor is an all-in-one tool that allows you to monitor everything in your IT infrastructure without the need for plugins or additional downloads. This is a user-friendly option and is also easy to set up. Some of the features provided by PRTG include:
- Comprehensive monitoring of your network
- Monitoring the availability, accessibility, and capacity of different servers
- Monitoring of all your applications
- Monitoring bandwidth and identifying the cause of bottlenecks
- Monitoring a wide range of devices
- Various alert tools to notify you of any issues
- An extensive reporting function
- Availability in various languages including English, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Japanese, simplified Chinese, and Russian.
PRTG needs to be installed on Windows, although you can then use it to monitor different types of devices, including Cisco, Linux, and HP.
Pricing: Various packages are available depending on the number of sensors you need. A sensor is a specific aspect that you want to monitor, for example, a particular URL. There is a limited-sensor free download option and Paessler also offers a free trial of the unlimited version of PRTG for 30 days.
2) SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor
SolarWinds is one of the best-known names when it comes to infrastructure monitoring tools. Its Network Performance Monitor provides comprehensive in-depth monitoring of your network including availability, how it is performing, and its overall health status. Some other features of SolarWinds NPM are provided below.
- Wireless network monitoring
- The ability to scale up to keep pace with your expanding network
- Customizable alerts so that you can control what triggers an alert and who to inform
- Proactive monitoring to help prevent security issues
- An extensive reporting function
- A customizable dashboard that provides an immediate overview of the aspects that matter most
- Multi-vendor network monitoring.
SolarWinds NPM is constantly evolving, meaning new features and updates are regularly added to ensure you always have a monitoring tool that is suitable for your needs.
Pricing: The cost depends on the type of license you need. For a quote, get in touch with SolarWinds. There is also a fully functional free trial available for a period of 30 days.
3) WhatsUp Gold
WhatsUp Gold is an easy-to-use infrastructure tool capable of monitoring your network and servers in terms of availability and performance. Features across all WhatsUp Gold plans include:
- Monitoring of wireless networks
- Monitoring of cloud and storage
- A customizable dashboard
- Customizable reporting
- An alert function to let you know when there’s an issue
- An interactive map
Features that are included with the Total Plus perpetual license and are also available as add-ons to the other types of licenses are provided below.
- Analysis of network traffic
- Monitoring of applications
- Configuration management
- Scalability pollers
WhatsUp Gold is only available for Windows.
Pricing: For a quote, you can get in touch via the website. There is also a free trial available.
If you’re looking for a free open source option, then Zabbix may well be the solution for you. While support services are available at a fee, Zabbix itself is completely free of charge. Features include:
- Network monitoring
- Server monitoring
- Monitoring of your applications
- Monitoring of your services
- Monitoring of any cloud devices
- Monitoring of performance, availability, and health status
- An alert function to inform you of any issues
- Reporting feature to offer overviews and insights into your system
It offers web-based configuration, multiple-branch distributed monitoring, robust security, and no limits when it comes to scalability.
Pricing: None, it’s free and open source. Zabbix does, however, offer fee-based professional services if you’re looking for something extra.
5) ManageEngine OpManager
ManageEngine OpManager has a user-friendly web interface and is extremely responsive. It is a complete infrastructure monitoring tool and offers all the features you need to make sure your network is running as it should. This includes:
- Real-time network monitoring
- Monitoring of both physical and virtual servers
- Network mapping
- An alert function to flag up any existing or potential issues
- Network traffic analysis
- Network configuration management
- Customizable dashboards
ManageEngine OpManager is suitable for installation on both Windows and Linux operating systems.
Pricing: There are different packages available to suit a variety of needs. There is also a free version that is capable of monitoring 10 devices but only provides limited functions and features. An online demo is available and a personalized demo can be requested.
Select The IT Infrastructure Monitoring Tool That Best Meets Your Needs
All 5 of these IT infrastructure monitoring tools have their merits and will provide you with comprehensive monitoring. However, it is up to you to determine which is the most suitable for your company. The best recommendation is to try before you buy through a variety of free trials that are available for your convenience.